“Pugnamus Pro Pacem” – “We Fight for Peace”
Chain of Command
- Commander Starfighter Corps (CSC) – The officer responsible for overseeing the collected squadrons of Fleet 31 for the purposes of maintenance and training.
- Commander Air Group (CAG) – A full-time pilot in immediate command of all fighter wings attached to the ship. The CAG reports to the Chief Tactical Officer.
- Wing Commander – Most senior pilot of the wing, in direct command of all pilots in their wing.
- Pilot – Each individual in control of a fighter craft. They may have everyday duties in other divisions, such as engineering or sciences, but report to the CAG upon Red Alert for possible deployment. All pilots must hold officer rank.
- Flight Deck Chief – The most senior deck hand, an engineer responsible for seeing to the maintenance and repairs of the fighter craft and commanding the flight deck crew. The Flight Deck Chief takes orders from each pilot regarding his or her craft. This position is usually held by a senior enlisted crewmember, although this position can be held by an officer.
- Flight Deck Crew – The lowest rung on the ladder. The deck hands are responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the fighter craft as ordered by the Flight Deck Chief. Deck hands are almost always enlisted but can be officers.
In radio calls, an individual craft is identified by a three-piece naming sequence, consisting of the squadron’s name, the wing, and the craft within that wing. Therefore, the lead craft of the second wing in Specter squadron would identify as “Specter 2-1.”
Pilots who become ineligible for flight status due to promotion retain the right to wear the flight qualification pin.
As a bonus, most fighter craft have limited Warp capability, but this means that constructing new craft while the ship is on a mission is a difficult task at best.
F31-SFC established January 2014.